8.12.2014

Travel Journal: Day #6 (Austria)


view of Salzburg from the fortress

I know, I know - you're wondering why Michael looks so excited
posing with chocolate (recommended by Amy)
Thursday, July 3, 2014


On Thursday morning, we woke up and left by 9:45am for Salzburg. Dad had a bit of trouble once we got into the city – he almost drove down a bike path. We parked the three cars and walked to the base of the fortress. We took a funicular up to the top, where you could see all of Salzburg. We then went on a thirty minute tour through the castle (also the audio guides were pretty faulty). After a brief stop in the gift shops, Mom, Emily, and I stopped in a little art gallery. The rest of the group continued on without us though, so we had a few minutes of scrambling around to figure out where they might’ve gone. 

After rejoining the group, we took the funicular down into the main square area. Everyone wanted to stop for hotdogs but I was on a mission to find a chocolate pretzel (my friend Amy studied in Salzburg last summer and she gave me a whole list of things to do and eat while in the city). Right near the cathedral was the booth with soooo many fresh pretzels: chocolate, chocolate and marzipan, cheese, cheese and bacon, apple, mixed nut, poppyseed, etc. The chocolate pretzel was pretty much a donut in the shape of a pretzel. SO GOOD though. We then went into the cathedral and I was instantly going back to everything I’ve learned in Renaissance Narrative. Even though that class was about Italy, not Austria… but still. There was a choir group from Canada and their voices combined with the incense… I forgot how much I loved being in the old churches and cathedrals. We were always in and out of these beautiful cathedrals in Italy, and they eventually lost just a little bit of their special-ness. This cathedral was a reminder of that.

We went in a few more shops, took a few more pictures with a Mozart statue (they love him here), etc. Then right as we were about to cross a bridge, I saw a little booth/hut that said “We <3 Chai” and I looked up at the bridge to see a sign that said “Mozartzteg” which was exactly where Amy told me to get the “best chai ever!!!!!” But since we were in a large group of sixteen people traveling around, I never thought I would be able to find it out of all the bridges in Salzburg. Anyways, it was the best iced chai I’ve ever had! And I’m not even just saying that.

We went back to the farm for a few minutes to freshen up, then we went back to the restaurant down the road that we went to earlier this week. This time, I got a turkey salad. It was really good but I’m still counting down the days until I’m reunited with Italian pizza and pasta!

1 comment:

  1. I forgot about Dad driving down the bike path. lol

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!