8.12.2014

Travel Journal: Day #7 (Austria)





under the waterfall

Friday, July 4, 2014


This morning we left the farm at 9am with Martin, drove 12-13 kilometers to Obertauern where he keeps his thirty-eight cows. It was pretty much a ghost town because tourists really only come here in the winter to ski. The cows were cool but they kinda scared me because they could swing their heads around so quickly and they had horns. One smaller cow plowing right by me and her horn hit me right on the funny bone. All I could think of was how embarrassing it would be to get a cracked elbow from a cow.

After that, Martin drove us a little ways down the road where we parked on the side to look at one of the Roman mile markers. This one was for the ruler Septimus Severus around 172 AD. Then we crossed the road and walked down steep steps (sometimes rock steps) to reach the waterfall below. Here we could stand under the waterfall while little water droplets fell above us. Martin said this is a good place to make a wish (there are so many ways to make wishes or have good luck in Europe :)

My wish was that I could make it back up all the rock steps… and that wish barely came true as we were all huffing and puffing on the way up.

We made it to the tail end of the market in Radstadt. I bought raspberries, a chocolate donut (so good! They never really had good donuts in Italy), and soap from a cute soap shop. Oh and hazelnut ice cream too, of course.

Back at the farm I took a nap, sat in the hammock chair, and read my “Speak Italian” book. We had pizza for dinner, Emily and I fed carrots to the horses and then gave cat treats to the cats. 

2 comments:

  1. Great picture of you and Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the waterfall picture.Grammie

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!