11.02.2014

Travel Journal: Day #10 (Germany) aka the “what happens on the night train, stays on the night train” day


sending out SOS snapchats
Monday, July 7, 2014


I’m currently in the PITS OF HELL: the night train. I don’t know why we were imagining a more luxurious suite but this is literally a closet with six beds stacked in threes on the two walls. There’s a large, sweaty Italian man on the bottom bunk and he’s snoring. At five minute intervals, he will roll himself up, complain about the mini vent/fan that is directly pointed at him, and then he’ll roll himself back onto his bottom bunk and immediately start snoring again. Ugh. This is proof that I will doing anything for Orvieto. ANYTHING!!!!! Not that I even have a choice though. Although I think it’s fitting that my family’s first trip to Italy includes this large, snoring Italian. It’s an introduction to the culture of sorts.

I had a meltdown when we first got on the train (surprise – I’m like three years old again) and then Mom said we can’t check into the hotel until 3pm. So naturally I threw a fit - as 22 year olds do, right? 

Michael’s trying to lift my spirits by being funny (he’s sleeping in the bed/shelf across from me) and I can’t help but smile because he’s being hilarious. Doesn’t he know I can’t smile right now? I’m focusing all my energy on glaring at Mom in her bunk. Anyways, Michael’s cracking me up and I’m not sure how this situation has suddenly spurred him into being so jolly and full of high spirits.

But how lucky I am to return to Orvieto! I’ve been dreaming about this since the moment I left and I’m literally HOURS away from returning to this home of mine. Just thinking about getting off this train, riding the funicular, stepping out onto cobblestone streets that became so familiar to me. HOW I’VE MISSED THIS PLACE! I can’t wait! I just can’t wait!

**Our morning: packed up the apartment, left Austria, 2.5 hour drive to Munich, returned rental car, found the Sawyer’s (they left after us) ate pizza in the square, went to Hofbrauhaus to try famous beer, found our way to the train station, wandered around for four hours, then got on the hell train (where I’m currently writing from). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!