11.02.2014

Travel Journal: Day #11 (Orvieto, Italy)


inside the duomo
my phone took this quality picture while I was running
view from the clocktower!

gelato with Emily :) 
Orvieto streets at night
Tuesday, July 8, 2014


We woke up at different times during the night – no one slept well at all! Dad was looking out the window and said “Meg! Is that it?” Orvieto was in the distance. I smiled and nodded, “Yes, that’s it.” It was so surreal – the whole day was. We took the funicular up from lower Orvieto to upper Orvieto, walked up Corso Cavour, immediately ran into Professor Skillen, his wife, and Nathaniel. We dropped our bags off at the hotel and went to Montanucci’s for cappuccini and pastries. We then bought carta unicas (“Keys to the City”) and walked to Federico’s shop. Federico did a double take when I walked in and then said, “OH! Ciao bella!” He had my bag all ready for me (I had emailed his wife, Hannah, a few weeks ago and ordered another leather bag). We chatted for a bit and he told us to come back later for a gelato run. We went to the palazzo, did some shopping, went to the duomo, and then ate pizza in Sunset Park. We went up the clock tower, went back to Federico’s shop for a gelato break, and he took us to the new gelato place. We got to go in the back of the shop and watch Zora make the gelato! Federico and Nathaniel had to go but we stayed for a few minutes and got to eat a cup of the fresh strawberry gelato. It was soooo good. Normally I love the chocolate/coffee gelato flavors and I don’t like the fruit ones as much (I mean, there’s still delicious but not really my go-to flavors).

We went back to Federico’s to ask for a few dinner recommendations before returning to the hotel. Mom, Emily, and Michael took naps while Dad and I sat outside and talked with an older couple. Soon it was time for dinner and we went to the place next to the duomo. It was kind of awkward because we were the only ones in there but the food was good. Dad and I unintentionally split a bottle of wine, Emily and I had cacio e pepe (MY FAVORITE!). Dad, Emily, and I then went to the cat park – just a grassy area with ten cats just hanging out. It was a little chilly by that time of night but still comfortable. We then sat on the hotel balcony for a while before watching a little of the Germany/Brazil game (7-1) before going to bed. Seriously, the whole day was a sort of surreal dream! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!