1.28.2013

RIP orchid

Would a black thumb be the opposite of a green thumb? Because I just made "black thumb" the title of this post and now I'm not 100% sure if that makes sense. It just sounds like frostbite. Anyways, I was trying to make a clever title about how I'm THE WORST GARDENER EVER. And I don't even have a garden! I have three potted plants that live indoors. For my birthday, last summer in June, I asked for an iPhone and for some house plants. Why? I don't know. Well, I know why I asked for an iPhone - because iPhones are awesome. But the plants? Like... why. I thought it would be nice to decorate the apartment with some green shrubbery (or at least a cactus, and orchid, etc), but I couldn't even keep my plants alive for the entire fall semester. And one of those plants was a cactus. Now what does that say about me?

The death of my orchid almost brought me to tears. Whenever someone would come over and say something like Was that an orchid? Where are the flowers? Is that orchid dead? I would pretty much die a little bit on the inside... just as my orchid had died. Even though it's January now and I'm pretty sure my orchid "died" in August, I'm still a little bit depressed about it. You'll understand why once you see this picture of what my orchid looked like originally... it was so beautiful! Even now, my dead - actually let's call it my sleeping orchid is perched on the middle of the mantel in my room. Can't. Let. Go.

Orchid in its prime
A note about how I actually received this orchid as a birthday present: the day before my birthday, my mom and I were in Walmart and when she wasn't looking, I picked it up from the orchid display and put it in the cart. Sneaky, I know.

1 comment:

  1. THERE IS HOPE! I thought mine was dead but trimmed and watered it a zillion times and now it has two things that look like they will be turning into flowers as it warms up! The other one is still "dead" but at least there's hope! I hate throwing plants out and I'm so glad I didn't toss these ones!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!