7.23.2014

Travel Journal: Day #1 (Austria)


classic Snapchat picture



view from the farm!
Saturday, June 28, 2014

So many strange feelings of déjà vu today – arriving to Terminal E, checking in luggage with Aer Lingus, etc. This time, my parents (and everyone else) went through security with me instead of saying goodbye right before. Two hours to spare in the airport and I talk to Sara on the phone: “I know, I know! I can’t believe I’m going back, with my family this time. It’ll be weird… and fun, I think.” We laugh and talk about where to bring my family and what to do. I miss Sara and wish she could come too, knowing that so much of my study abroad experience last spring was defined by the people I was with, in addition to the beauty of Orvieto.

I browse through the airport gift shops, looking at Harvard t-shirts and BostonStrong bumper stickers, wondering if I should splurge on a neck pillow or not. I end of spending my money on a mediocre slice of S’barro pizza, reminding myself that there will be better pasta and pizza to come.

Boarding the plane – this time I’m sitting with Emily instead of a total stranger. Michael keeps looking at my from across the aisle, mouthing, “Is this even REAL!?” I am quickly reminded that planes are both miserable and magical at the same time… magical because of the adventure but miserable since I’ve never discovered a way to comfortably sleep on a place. The 5.5 hour flight passes slowly even though I watched TV and took a ten minute nap (even though I swear the nap lasted for 4.5 hours).

In the Dublin airport, Michael and I split a sausage roll, which I thought looked like some sort of delicious Hot Pocket but turned out to be a strangely shaped pastry with a soft inside. Michael and I were suspicious of the “sausage” part and once again I reminded myself that there would be better food to come.

The red eye flight struggle begins to kick in here and 6:30am in Ireland is actually 1:30am at home. The next plane is smaller but somehow it’s easier to sleep here because my head is already right next to the window so I don’t have to figure out which way to lean.

Our arrival in Munich comes with a few (okay, maybe more than a few) moments of crankiness and the next ensuing moments of trying to find an open bank and getting the rental cars were less enjoyable moments in the journey. Dad couldn’t figure out how to turn the car on and I couldn’t figure out how to give him directions without sounding like an annoyed brat. A 2.5 hour drive to the farm was next and the only thing I could think about was where to lie down once we arrived. I threw my stuff down and collapsed on my bed, feeling torn because I wanted to explore but I also felt like my head was going to explode.

A few hours later, we all piled back into the cars and drove a few minutes down the road to a restaurant. Monica had to translate everything on the menu and I realized that I honestly don’t know any German. At least in Italy, I was used to Italian menus because we went to eat at Fratello’s almost every week during my childhood. Dad, Emily, and I all got schnitzel with potatoes and it was pretty good, considering I was still a zombie and was almost falling asleep on my plate.

We drove back to the farm, held some of the baby rabbits, and then I got into bed at 8pm. I wore my eye mask, earplugs, and shut all the blinds in our room. I vowed to keep the windows open another time but for tonight, I wasn’t messing around. This was going to be the best night’s rest. It seemed to work because I fell asleep at 8:15pm and work up the next morning at 11am. Although I DID wake up at 3am, wide awake and ready to start the day.

1 comment:

I'd love to hear your thoughts!