7.27.2014

Travel Journal: Day #4 (Austria/Germany)


maybe I was a little nervous... 

scaring the grandmas (and my dad)


view from the top


the crew
Tuesday, July 1, 2014

I THINK I slept better last night but it’s hard to tell… I still wake up and I don’t really feel rested. Today we went to Hitler’s “Eagle’s Nest.” We drove an hour to get there, then we took a bus, then an elevator up to the top! It was so beautiful and the mountains didn’t even seem real. I wish we had learned more about the history but it was nice to just explore and climb on the rocks. I wanted to take a picture on the cliff but Emily wouldn’t even take the picture or look at the cliff. Michael did it but complained the whole time… then he finally got in the picture with me :) Dad, too. Some of us walked down the mountain while other took the elevator. We finally took the bus back to the cars and drove to the town where the Sawyer’s always take their Christmas card. We went into the wood carving shop and I bought two cutting boards / hot plates and then a tree ornament. The woman rolled her eyes a few times when I tried to explain the names that I wanted her to wood burn onto the cutting boards, which was awkward but whatever. They are gifts for people!

We then drove to another town for dinner. Emily, Dad, and I all got the “mountain climber” dinner plate: sausage, pork, potatoes, fried onions, etc. All fried and/or oily, of course. After dessert (Emily and I split apple strudel with ice cream), we walked to the lake but it was way too cold to swim or keep your feet in the water for more than ten seconds.

It took two hours to drive back to the farm. With dad driving the standard, I was feeling pretty carsick (it’s not you, Dad, it’s the car…) so I tried to close my eyes during all of the car rides. But this leaves me feeling so sleepy and groggy whenever we arrive somewhere! I haven’t quite figured it out yet. 

1 comment:

  1. where's day #5?! jk but actually your pictures are beautiful and day 4 sounds like a huge success....minus the carsick thing....

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!