7.23.2014

Travel Journal: Day #3 (Austria)


view from the farm in the evening!
Gonna start smiling like this all the time

Monday, June 30, 2014

This morning was a struggle because I woke up at 3am (okay, okay, my mom was right – the nap was a bad idea). I was pretty much away from 3-5am, eating pretzels in the kitchen, counting sheep, etc. Apparently Emily was awake too because when I got back in bed, she creepily whispered, “Megaaaaan? Are you asleeeeeeeep?” and I was ready to smack her in the face with a pillow because she creeped me out so much with her scary, whispery voice. Anyways, Mom woke me up at 11am and we drove to the salt mines. While we waited one hour for the tour to begin, we had pretzels and potatoes at a restaurant. Michael nudged me and said “Ooooh Megan, our waiter is pretty cute!” (Michael is always looking out for me in terms of possible boyfriends). So on our way out, the waiter smiled at me and said “bye bye” just as I was about to put on my most charming smile and wave back, Dad grabbed my arm and dragged me over to the buffet area, shouting “MEG LOOK AT THIS BACON!” …I was unimpressed with the huge slab of Austrian bacon he was trying to show me, but mostly annoyed that I just lost my chance with that future (Austrian) husband.

After the bacon incident, we trekked back to where the tour begins. We put on our mining suits and took a “train” down through the salt mine. It was interesting/fun but the slides kind of scared me because they were so steep. We were on the tour with 30+ middle schoolers from Bath, England and they were seriously so funny to listen to (you have to read these with little British accents to get the full effect). We had to wear white one piece mining suits that had to be returned at the end of the tour but once of the kids didn’t want to take his off…
-       “I’m going to keep this mining suit”
-       “What’re you going to do with a suit?”
-       “Wear it around town, of course!”

We returned back to the farm and had pesto pasta for dinner, player Uno for a while, and watched the beginning of the Germany/Algeria World Cup game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!