6.03.2013

Day #100 in Orvieto (Rome day trip)

June 2, 2013 - Sunday 


This morning I woke up around eight, called Heather to see if it was still good weather to come to Rome, and then got ready for the day. It was so hot out! I was going to save money and walk down to the train station this morning instead of taking the funicular, but it raining last night so I thought I might slip and break an ankle by walking down the path through the woods that can take you to the train station. And also I didn't know if I would have enough time. And I'm lazy. Anyways, paid that extra Euro and took the funicular and then a train to Rome at 9am. I arrived in Roma Tiburtina at 10:20, then took the train to Trastevere from 10:30 to 10:50! I walked to Heather's from the train station, then we made our way to Nemi by car for the strawberry festival (me, Heather, Jon, Bri, and Kilo). I'd never been to a strawberry festival before but it met my expectations because there were a million strawberries and a million people! They had strawberry tarts, strawberry pizza, strawberry rice, and strawberries and cream cups (had two of these). After lunch, we got back in the car and went to find Castel Gandolfo, the place where the pope has a summer home. That town was really cute too so we walked around for a while there, saw the lake, and then made our way back to Rome! I liked being in the car even though cars always put me to sleep. 

We got back to Heather's, ate some strawberry cake and strawberry tart, then we eventually made our way to dinner but there weren't a lot of places open because it was too early at 7pm! At 7:30 we went to a place for dinner that had pizza/steaks/etc and it was so good! It wasn't as big as the steak I got last time with heather but it was pretty close - and it came with French fries and veggies. It was really great and I think they might try to visit me next Sunday (MY LAST SUNDAY) in Orvieto. 

Heather dropped me off at the metro and I bought my ticket and figured our where to go (even though there were only two options). So simple... But I realized that I've never taken the metro by myself before! Anyways, made it to the train station successfully so of course I felt like the world's best traveller or something, even though all I did was sit on the metro for like four stops. Whatever. 

I had a little extra time in the station so I bought a Roma t-shirt for either Michael or myself - haven't decided yet. It was a good deal so not only was I being an awesome traveller, but I was also I bargain hunter. Seriously, things were going well for me. On the train, I asked the American couple next to me if this was the train to Chiusi and they were like "Yes! Wow you have great English!" Apparently this was my night because not only could I ride the metro for four stops and buy a four Euro t-shirt, but I can also speak my own language! By this time it was 10pm and I'd say things were going well for me.



Strawberry festival in Nemi!

Strawberry decoration
Seven cats on a wall!
View from the back of the funicular (the beginning of my day)

1 comment:

  1. Love the picture of the 7 cats! and the view from the furnicular.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!