6.03.2013

Day #101 in Orvieto

June 3, 2013 – Monday

I arrived back at the monastery just before midnight last night, then I had a little bit of homework to do before I finally went to bed! Today in class we talked about our “duomo door” poems. We talked about my poem for a while today which was good but I have a lot of things to work on… anyways, class went by quickly and we heard Jenna’s life story today in chapter meeting. I’m sharing my life story/introduction tomorrow so I’m trying to find some pictures and figure out what I want to say during my turn.

We had pastas for lunch again, then we went to get gelato for Italian class. So we walked all the way to the duomo, took turns ordering gelato, then sat on the duomo steps while Alessandro gave us a quick Italian lesson. After gelato/Italian class, we went back to the monastery and I worked on my new poem for a while. For this poem, we had a write a rhyming poem about any sculpture or artwork that we’ve seen over the past three months here in Italy. I chose a painting that I saw in the Scottish National Gallery (which is weird because I didn’t choose one from Italy) but it’s by Rafael and I think it’s called “Madonna del Passeggio.” I think the painting is a little bit creepy but it’s interesting and I took a few pictures of it in the gallery even though the guard was not happy with me. I thought it was a cool painting!

Here are two pictures from one of the Corpus Christi events this weekend. On Saturday night, Tyler and I went to see what events were going on when we stumbled across this relay race. Pretty much you would be walking down the street, two police morocycles would come speeding up in the middle of the street and honk their horns, then everyone would make way for the four relay runners (carrying battons). So apparently the four quarters of Orvieto have a relay race through town at 10:30pm on the Saturday of Corpus Christi. The race ended in the duomo piazza where there was a makeshift stadium and everyone would cheer and yell for their quarter.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!