6.11.2013

Day #109 in Orvieto

June 11, 2013 - Tuesday

Today in class we went down to the studio to meet with the art students. For our final projects, we are pairing up with the art students and they're illustrating one of our poems. It's challenging because we have to work together but it's also fun because I'm working with Sara. So we both had to spend time at a same spot in Orvieto, come up with ideas on our own, and then work together to come up with a poem and visual representation of the spot. At the spot, I did my free-write paragraph about the poems there, and then I turned it into the poem. Here is a rough draft of the poem (I'm stilling working on the syllable count and lots of other things...)

Pigeons race around tufa edge –
pretending they have an ancient
obligation to guard invisible
fences, shooing feathered neighbors.
They cling to the beam with prideful
waddles. Little legs grasp onto
weeds growing from rock growing from
fortress. Hundredth generation
pigeons in Orvieto. They
defend and demand a small square
footage of stone – just because their
Etruscan ancestors built this place
with their bare claws. 

Anyways, tomorrow is our last class with Prof Stevick before he heads back to the States on Thursday. After class, we had chapter meeting (Becky and Tyler did their introductions), we had pasta for lunch as usual, then I went to a museum during the afternoon because I'm trying to check things off of my key to the city. It was nice to go to the museum but it was freaky because I was the only one in there and it was dark and there was strange instrumental music coming from the stereo. I started to freak myself out because the noise of my sandals was loudly echoing through the dark halls and it was just too creepy. So I didn't spend a long time in the museum. 

In the afternoon, I made a few more books and started to pack! After dinner, a few of us (Sara, Laura, Jenna, Becky, and Kristine) went to the carnival across the street, Luna Park. There isn't usual a carnival there but we think it's because school ended last week so it's some sort of celebration thing. So we rode on the bumper cars (I'd never been on bumper cars - except for the ones at Funspot...) and it was really fun but pretty dangerous and I have a few bruises I think. We also went on the swings - also fun, but made me so dizzy. Here are a few pictures from the day!


From the sarcophagus room in the museum

Creeping on the duomo from the museum window
The swings!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you are wrapping up your stay in Italy . I am glad you enjoyed your time there and took in all you could. I have enjoyed reading your blog each day. Have a safe flight home.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!