4.02.2013

Day #36 in Orvieto (Rome weekend)

March 30, 2013 - Saturday
On Saturday morning we slept until like 10:30 because we were so tired! Heather made us waffles and they were seriously the best waffles I’ve had. Or at least they tasted like the best things ever because I haven’t had real breakfast since I’ve been here! Since we just have corn flakes and instant coffee… but she made us real waffles with strawberries and whipped cream and REAL COFFEE! It was wonderful. In the afternoon, Becky and I went out to explore/get lost in Rome and we made our way to the Colosseum and the Roman Forum. It cost like 12 euros to get into both of them, but since we didn’t do that last time we were in Rome and we had the whole day to explore, it seemed like and good idea. And it was a good idea, but it started to rain soon after we bought our tickets and started to walk around! It rained on and off though, so it wasn’t too bad. It was cool to walk around all these ruins and explore in the Forum. We got to see what was left of Augustus’ house, a few different remains of temples, and we found a cool hedge-maze like the one in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Then we got up to the top of the Forum where you can look over and see the rest of the ruins below. Then there was a rainbow. So overall, exploring the Forum was great! We then went to the Colosseum and stood in line to get in there. It was PACKED. Sooooooo many people were there and it was almost impossible to move around in the Colosseum. I’m happy we went in because it was awesome to be in there, but I definitely wouldn’t want to do that every day, or even again anytime soon. So. Many. People. So week took a few pictures and walked around, but then we left after that. I wanted to go below the Colosseum where they used to keep the animals, but no such luck.
We then made our way to Giolitti (where we went for gelato every day when we were in Rome a few weeks ago – and where I had my chocolate/coconut gelato combo). We got a little bit lost on the way there but it was totally worth it once we waited in line and eventually got our gelato. I had dark chocolate, coconut, and hazelnut chocolate in a chocolate dipped cone. Amazing.

After that, it had started to pour so we tried to make our way back to Heather’s. It was impossible to navigate the streets through with everyone else and their huge umbrellas, and so we got lost on the way back. So it was pouring and dark out as we are walking on the sidewalks, and then all of a sudden a car speeds through a puddle and Becky and I get SOAKED as it splashes up and hits up. We just looked at each other and continued the walk. It was like we were in a bad movie or something. Anyways, we eventually made our way back and it ended up being kind of funny, so no worries. We put on some dry clothes and then went to eat in Heather’s neighborhood. We went to some restaurant and ordered a pasta dish that looked pretty good. Our waiter asked if we wanted water, in Italian, and when we answered “Si” he was like “BRAVO! Nice job!” He was very impressed with us, which was a little bit shocking because we only said Si. He was nice and friendly though.

After dinner, we went back to Heather’s and I used her phone to call home and talked to my parents for about half an hour. Well, I talked to my mom for 25 minutes and then to my dad for 5 minutes – Sorry, Dad! It was kind of weird to just dial up the phone and talk. I realized I haven’t done that in a while. I’m glad I got to talk to them, though.
Here are a few pictures from the day! :)


Parts of the Forum
The Roman Forum!
Temple of Romulus
Inside the Colosseum! :)
A view of Rome from the edge of the Roman Forum
Harry Potter maze inside the Forum
Hanging out with Kilo, Heather's dog

A panoramic view of the inside of the Colosseum!

1 comment:

  1. gah! I still feel like your pictures aren't real...are you sure you're not just taking pictures of postcards? ahahaha. Anyways I was dying picturing you in the pouring rain, lost, getting splashed by cars and I couldn't even handle it. LOVE. --Anna

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!