4.07.2013

Day #42 in Orvieto (Florence + Arezzo)

April 5, 2013 – Friday
We had to wake up so early today in order to fit Santa Trinita (the church that was closed yesterday) into our already busy schedule. This is where we saw the Sassetti family side chapel which was so cool because we have been learning all about it in class this past week. Since it covers all of the walls in the side chapel, it’s definitely a different experience to be IN the chapel to see the paintings instead of looked at 3 different pictures of it on a PowerPoint in class. We then went to Museo San Marco and then the Palazzo Medici-Riccardi. This was once of the best parts of the day because we walked through the Medici Palace which was AMAZING but sadly we weren’t allowed to take any pictures.

For lunch we had my favorite – tomato, mozzarella, and basil sandwiches. Before we walked to the train station, we went to get gelato again and I had chai tea latte again along with a “Snickers” flavor. I don’t remember the name but it had peanuts and it tasted like a Snickers bar.  We arrived at the station at 2:20, only to see on the departure board that our train to Arezzo was leaving at 2:22, instead of half an hour later (which is when we were told that it would leave). So we ran to the train and everyone made it. This is where you can picture me, running with my huge backpack on and a giant tomato and cheese sandwich in my hands. This train was really nice and had a top level, so we went to sit up there. I fell asleep because it was so comfortable but then the ticket guy woke me up to tell me to take my foot off of the armrest. So that nap was interrupted.

We stopped in Arezzo for a few hours to see the Franciscan church of San Francesco where we saw Piero della Francesca’s Legend of the Holy Cross (another fresco cycle that I need to memorize…). We spent an hour in there and I thought my feet were going to fall off from standing for so long. We had a little bit of free time so we went to a café where I got a cappuccino, of course, and a pastry! It was nice to relax for a bit and explore by the Arezzo Duomo before we had to head back to the train station! This train ride was a little over an hour long and soon we returned back to Orvieto!

We had soup for dinner and heard the bad news that our laundry hadn’t been delivered (every two weeks we turn in our towels and sheets and get different ones for the week). So Hannah had gathered a few towel bath mats, a few pillowcases, and some hand towels to split up between the 20 of us. We were all allowed to have one thing but we had to choose. Or in my case, aggressively run up to the table where everything was and grab the biggest towel. It was like in the Hunger Games when everyone has to run to the middle to get their supplies. Thankfully I got a big towel and I brought a pillowcase from home anyways, so this wasn’t much of a crisis. We unpacked from the journey and the painting class stayed up late and did fun stuff probably. I wouldn’t know because my class had to go to bed early for the field trip to Siena on Saturday morning!


A random poster of the pope popping out of an egg
View from the bridge at night
One of the last churches we went to - I can't remember the name but it's important...
There was even a cat at the last supper! (Well, in this painting of the last supper)

View of Arezzo from the park near the duomo
Another view of Arezzo. As you can see it was pretty stormy
Doors of the Arezzo duomo

1 comment:

  1. Love the picture of the Pope coming out of the egg!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!