4.02.2013

Day #38 in Orvieto


April 1, 2013 – Monday 
It was so hard to wake up this morning! I set my alarm for 8, then 8:05, then 8:10, and suddenly I was hitting the snooze until it was finally 8:30 and then I was rushing for the next half hour! I almost fell asleep in class a few times which was concerning because my eyes actually started to close and my head bobbed a few times. Anyways, I made it through class (barely).  After lunch, Dr. Skillen led us on a hike out of Orvieto to the Cappuccini Convent. It’s not really used as a convent anymore but it’s for retreats for “new” Cappuccini monks. They were Franciscan monks that had brown clothes and white hoods, so that’s why cappuccinos are named after them - because cappuccinos are brown coffee with a “hood” of milk on top.

The hike was probably around 45min-1hr long and it was such a nice day. There were a few places to stop for a picnic but most of us had already eaten our bagged lunches by the time we reached the monastery. There was a beautiful view of Orvieto from the top – the hike was similar to the hike to the Rock although it was in a slightly different direction. Here are some pictures from the day:

A view of Orvieto!
Another view of the duomo - It's kind of blurry because I took it on my iPhone...
There were lots of gardens/trees around the monastery
After the hike, we returned home and pretty much everyone went to take a nap. I took a three-hour nap because I was SO TIRED! Soon it was 7:30 and then I didn’t want to start any homework before dinnertime. After dinner we had a frantic (at least it felt frantic for me) Internet time because I was trying to figure out housing, registration, classes, and everything else in that hour! So it was a little bit crazy but sort of productive. I’ll definitely have to take Christian Theology (I’ve been putting this off but I can’t do it any longer…), an internship for my Nonprofit minor, an English Senior Seminar, and then some other class. I haven’t figured out the last class though.

1 comment:

I'd love to hear your thoughts!