5.02.2013

Day #69 in Orvieto

May 2, 2013 - Thursday

We are halfway done with our third class! Today we finished reading Dante's Inferno and we will start reading Purgatorio over the weekend. After lunch, we all went to the second day of the gelato festival! There are three tents in the three different piazzas around Orvieto, and each tent has two different flavors from different regions of Italy. Yesterday, I had a pistachio/Nutella flavor and today I tried apple. Then we went to a gelato-making demonstration where we all crowded around two men making gelato from a million year old gelato-maker-barrel. It wasn't actually a million years old but it was the oldest machine in Italy and we all took turns cranking the handle. Then we got to sample the gelato! The kind that they made was hazelnut and it was seriously THE BEST GELATO I'VE HAD SINCE I'VE BEEN HERE. I know I say this all the time, but for real this was it. It was the creamiest and so fresh. In other news, I went to Federico's leather store today and picked out a bag and then chose the leather that I liked, and he is going to make me a bag. So that was another highlight of the day, in addition to the gelato festival. 

Later on in the afternoon, Laura and I went to the travel agent to print our boarding passes and figure out some trains. We will be in Edinburgh in exactly one week!!! Ahhh! 


The festival in Piazza del Duomo
The thing that makes the gelato!
The two guys running the show

1 comment:

  1. I think you are majoring in gelato tasting. As many times as I have been to Italy and that is a lot I have not eaten 1/10 the amount of gelato you have consumed/ Uncle TC is the gelato eater in this house. I will say my favorite is boring limone.:)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!