5.01.2013

Day #67 In Orvieto

April 30, 2013 - Tuesday

Okay, I’m just going to have to write about our secret mission today instead of tomorrow (Wednesday) because we spent most of the afternoon doing prep work for the secret mission. So yesterday, Sara, Laura, Jenna, and I decided that we would wake up early on Wednesday aka MAY DAY aka May 1st aka Gelato Festival Day #1 and make everyone pancakes. Not sure where this idea came from but we thought of it yesterday on our walk, because everyone misses real breakfast and the cornflakes are great... But I think we all know that pancakes are better than cornflakes. So after class, chapter meeting, and lunch today, the four of us stopped at the two bigger supermarkets here in Orvieto to get supplies. Pancakes are pretty simple but we haven’t bought baking supplies here before, because we haven’t had a kitchen to bake in! So we bought everything we needed (including bananas and chocolate chips), but we could not find baking soda anywhere. It didn’t help that we weren’t sure what they call it here. We did find some strange white powder that looked like it COULD be baking soda and had a picture of some fluffy cookies on the packaging so we bought it and hoped for the best. Other than the secret pancake mission, today was a regular day! Except for most of the afternoon, we all watched the movie, The Thin Red Line, in the sala on the projector. I had never heard of it before but it’s a war movie and it lasted for about three hours. It was a really intense movie but it was beautifully filmed.

Anyways, before we went to sleep last night, Becky and I were talking about the movie and other depressing things (you know, just normal bedtime conversations) and suddenly she was like “I’m going to think about something happy now. I’m going to think about banana chocolate chip pancakes” and I was like WHAT!?! (Because I didn’t tell her about the secret pancake mission and she’s never mentioned banana chocolate chip pancakes before). So I’m terrible at keeping secrets like this so I reallyyyyyy wanted to tell her “WELL BECKY, WE’RE GOING TO HAVE SOME IN THE MORNING!” because I was trying to be strong and keep the secret. But I did say something like “maybe when we wake up, there will be pancakes instead of cornflakes, you never know.” Which was obviously a joke, because if there is anything that’s been constant during our semester in Orvieto, it’s the cornflakes! So Becky went to bed wishing for banana chocolate chip pancakes, while I was super giddy and excited while I went to bed (so excited that I almost couldn’t sleep for a few minutes) because I knew that we’d make pancakes in the morning!!!! :) :) :)
Palm tree in our courtyard!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!